The waiver ensures that students understand the risks of the program as well as the responsibilities of the student including fees that might be charged in the event of a lost, damaged, misused bike or lost key.
- The service is available at select MSU residence halls including: Bailey & Butterfield Halls (key pick up in 104 Brody Hall) in Brody Neighborhood, East Wilson in South Neighborhood, Snyder Hall in North Neighborhood, and North Hubbard in East Neighborhood.
- Go to the ASMSU website -> Services -> Bike Share and sign the waiver with your MSU email and save the confirmation email from ASMSU. Link to waiver: asmsu.msu.edu/services/bike-share/
- Go to the front desk at one of the above halls
- Present the waiver confirmation email to the Service Center Representative
- They will ensure that your APID and Name match and swipe your MSU ID and provide you with a key that matches the number of the bike at the designated rack.
- Unlock the bike from the designated ASMSU Bike Share rack. If the bike with that number isn’t at the rack or the bike is in disrepair, please let the front desk staff know this so they can properly report this problem.
- The bike can be rented out for a maximum of 7 hours or until 8 p.m. and the bike must be returned to the same hall/rack from where it was rented out.
- After arriving back to the hall from where you rented the bike and locking the bike to the ASMSU rack, provide the key and your MSU ID to the reception staff to check the bike back in and allow other students to use the bike.
- Important Note: The bike must be returned to the designated bike share rack and by the specified time to avoid the value of the bike being charged to your student account and a hold being placed on your account.
We have students bring the bikes back to the same location so we can ensure that we have ample bikes for all students to use across the 4 locations.
We have students park the bike on the designated ASMSU bike share rack so that the next rider can easily find the bike. If the bike is not properly parked at the same rack, the bike may be marked as missing and if so you will be charged the full price of the bike (ranging from $300 – $600) to your student account.
If you lose your lock/key while riding, let the Service Center Representative know and they will contact ASMSU (firstname.lastname@example.org) to follow up and collect more information. If we cannot locate the lock/key, you will be charged $25 to your student account to replace the lock.
- If your bike is broken prior to riding, return to the front desk and inform the SCR of the problem and ask for a different bike key. The Service Center Representative will contact ASMSU (email@example.com) and MSU Bikes (firstname.lastname@example.org) to follow up and collect more information.
- If the bike breaks or malfunctions while riding, please take it back to the Hall where it was rented at and let the Service Center Representative know and they will contact ASMSU (email@example.com) and MSU Bikes (firstname.lastname@example.org) to follow up and collect more information. You can also stop by MSU Bikes if that is more convenient and the Center is open (Mon – Fri. 10 am – 5 pm) for service; you will have to present your student ID in order to get the bike serviced.
- If it is determined that the damage was done intentionally, or due to misuse, your student account will be charged a fee ranging from $10 – $200 based on the extent of the damage.
It is your (the rider’s) responsibility to take care of the rented bike and to ensure that it is locked and secure. If the bike is stolen or lost while rented out by a student, please let the Service Center Representative know. ASMSU will follow up and if it is determined that the student was responsible for the loss, the student’s account will be charged based on the bike model (ranging from $300 – $600).
In order to have a sustainable program for other students to use, we charge students for lost or damaged keys/locks/bikes so we can replace the asset and ensure that the program has the proper resources it needs to continue operating sustainably in the long term.
If you need a bike for longer-term use consider renting or buying one from MSU Bikes. They sell both new and ready-to-ride refurbished used bikes. See their website for more information or stop by during their open business hours: (Mon – Fri. 10 am – 5 pm) bikes.msu.edu