ASMSU Safe Ride Program
What is Safe Ride?
Safe Ride is a late night transportation service provided to members of the Michigan State University community as a safe and free alternative to walking home alone after dark. University Safe Ride programs are proven to reduce assault-related dangers and drunk driving both on and off campus.
Please be prepared for wait times that can exceed 30-45 minutes due to rider demand.
- I acknowledge that there are risks inherent in the use of the ASMSU Safe Ride service and I voluntarily and knowingly assume all such risks.
- I release, waive, and discharge ASMSU, MSU, its officers, directors, employees, agents, volunteers, and contractors (collectively, “Releasees”) from any and all claims arising from the use of the ASMSU Safe Ride service that may result in personal injury, accident, illness or property loss. As part of this release, waiver, and discharge, I agree not to sue Releasees in connection with any such injury, accident, illness, or loss.
- I agree to defend, indemnify, and hold Releasees harmless from any and all claims, demands, losses, liabilities, and expenses, including attorney fees, and to reimburse Releasees for any such expense incurred in connection with, or as a result of, my use of the ASMSU Safe Ride service.
- I agree that the cost of any mess I create and any damage I cause to the vehicle will be my responsibility and charged to my University Student Account ranging from $50-$200. This includes, but is not limited to trash, spilled food, or the cleanup of bodily fluids.
- I agree to not cause any nuisance, annoyance, inconvenience, or property damage to the ASMSU Safe Ride service provider or any other party that may be using the ASMSU Safe Ride service.
- Requesting a ride to a commercial location
- Asking for more than one ride a night
- Requesting a ride for yourself and more than 2 guests
- Excessively high wait times
Download the TransLoc Rider App (App Store or Google Play Store), it is the best way to request a ride!
When you open the App, select Michigan State University
Choose the blue rider icon in the lower lefthand corner
- *Icon will be gray if Safe Ride isn’t operating*
- *If you are having trouble requesting a ride, the icon is gray and Safe Ride IS in operation, it is likely you may have created an account without selecting Michigan State first and logging in with your MSU credentials first as mentioned in Step 4.
- If this is the case, please try the following:
- Delete and re-download the Safe Ride app
- Clear your cache on your default web browser. Instructions can be found here for varying web browser types: kb.iu.edu/d/ahic
Scroll down and select Michigan State University (Do NOT create an account here, scroll down and log-in using your MSU NetID)
- Use your MSU netID to create a TransLoc Account. Please enter your netID as your TransLoc username as well as your MSU email. Your phone number will be used to send text messages to you once your ride is on the way.
Choose your pickup location
Choose your drop-off location *Must be home address*
Select your number of passengers
Confirm your trip
- Current MSU netID information is required to request a ride
- Must use your own MSU account when requesting a ride
- MUST be a MSU student
- Safe Ride will only drop you off at your home address
- Can bring up to two guests.
- Includes a wheelchair accessible vehicle which can be requested through the application or by phone.
- Safe Ride vehicles will only travel within posted boundaries.
- Smoking, vaping, eating, and consumption of alcoholic beverages is prohibited in Safe Ride vehicles
- Please be respectful to your Safe Ride driver and vehicle at all times.
- Please be ready to go when your Safe Ride arrives. Our driver will wait a maximum of 5 minutes before continuing their route. Failure to do so will result in being marked a no show and could lead to being blacklisted.
- Be ready to exit the vehicle when you arrive at your end location
- Please clean up after yourself by picking up any garbage before exiting the vehicle
- Please ensure that you have all of your belongings (phone, keys, wallet, etc.) before exiting the vehicle
- If you have to cancel your ride, please call immediately and cancel or reschedule to ensure that others can take advantage of the service.
- Safe Ride reserves the right to refuse service.
- Please forward any questions, comments, or concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please take the survey at the end of your ride to help us improve!
- Any address within the following boundaries:
- North: East State Rd.
- South: Mount Hope Rd.
- East: Park Lake Rd.
- West: U.S. 127
- Can anybody use Safe Ride?
- Use of Safe Ride is limited to Michigan State University students only with two guests. For liability reasons, Safe Ride is unable to transport young children. If you have parties larger than three, please consider using an alternative transportation option.
- How long does it take to get a ride?
- Wait times vary based on request volume, weather conditions, traffic, etc. The TransLoc app will give you updated wait times on the application, so you will know when your ride will arrive.
- Where do I go for my pick-up?
- Please wait for your ride in a safe and well lit location. As your ride arrives, please wait in an open location that makes it easy for the driver to find you.
- What happens if I can’t make my ride?
- If you are unable to make your ride please immediately call and cancel or reschedule your ride. This allows us to pick up other students that need rides.
- How will I know when my car arrives?
- The Safe Ride vehicle will be marked with the ASMSU Safe Ride Logo and a lit sign on top of the car.
- If I am a minor under the influence, will I be susceptible to a Minor In Possession?
- No, Safe Ride is a non judgemental service focused on helping students get home. Our Safe Ride drivers are trained to be prepared for anything. Please make sure that you remain respectful throughout your ride and relay to the Safe Ride driver if you need anything.
- What if the application says Safe Ride is not in operation (during the hours of 9pm and 2:30am)? Try these steps in order:
- Delete and re-download the TransLoc application
- Delete your web browser’s cache
- If neither of these options solves the issue you can come to the Engagement Office (Room 307 Student Services Building) during the hours of 9am and 4pm for assistance.